Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Is It Always Greener on the Other Side?

When I first got out of college I lived in southern New Jersey, which had a lot of sod farms. Having cut a lot of grass in my teenage years (8 acres...usually once a week...walk-behind mower...I had good calves) I could appreciate the acre upon acre of well manicured grassland. But it did seem a little extravagant to, in essence, adopt a lawn.

Now, living in the parched American southwest I have developed a new appreciation for grass-free living. Here xeriscaping is all the rage. Don't get me wrong, I still do miss the feel (and especially the smell) of a newly mown lawn. But this week's films, all three parts of Isaac Brown and Eric Flagg's film, "Gimme Green," call into question the environmental impact of this national obsession.

Gimme Green (Part 1)



Gimme Green (Part 2)



Gimme Green (Part 3)


-C-

No comments: